Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

"What Supplements Do You Take?"

If you walk into any GNC and ask this question you will more than likely leave the store carrying all of this...

We all know you don't really need all these supplements (although at times it would probably be pretty fun to be able to say this is your "stash"). Unless you have an unlimited budget, this just isn't possible or even needed. Many supplements people take are worthless and give you no added benefits. We have all seen the claims supplement companies make. Increase your testosterone, burn fat, increase power, increase weight, increase strength, the list goes on. Most of the time there is no research or facts to back these claims up, they are all just simply selling points. 

First off, if you are depending on your supplements to do these things for you you already have the wrong mindset. Supplements are called supplements for that exact reason. They are used to supplement your exercise habits and your diet. They should not be used as the staple and foundation in your daily life. If you don't have good workout habits and healthy diet to go with it then no supplement will help you. So before take the advice in the rest of the article take a look at your daily life and evaluate if you are ready for supplements. 

Now on to the fun part. I'll give you a list of the supplements I would suggest, as well as tell you the research that shows the added benefits. Remember, these are not in any particular order. I think they are all important and would recommend you to try taking them all if you would like. Without going into too much depth (that will be for another post, individually). Here is the list of supplements I would recommend for you as well as a brief description of its function. 

  • Creatine- Creatine has been shown time and time again in hundreds of studies to increase power in individuals. I recommend taking 3-5 grams every day. As with any supplement, make sure you are drinking plenty of water daily. 
  • Fish Oil- Fish oil isn't a sexy or fun supplement but it is great for overall health. It has been shown to reduce inflammation, risk of cancer, diabetes and plaque build up. 
  • Pre-workout- This is probably the one most all of us take. It is the one we all enjoy because of the stimulation it brings. Some people will say you don't need a pre-workout but I beg to differ. I get my best lifts in on the days I take my pre-workout. If I don't take it, I struggle through my lift. 
  • Protein- If you can't eat a meal after you get done working out this is a great way to get your protein to help repair your muscles. Supplementing protein is also a great way to to help you gain weight if you are struggling to put on weight. I do not recommended taking protein in place of meals though. 
This is just a brief post to get to the basics. I will write a more detailed post on each individual supplement, its benefits (with studies to back them up), companies I suggest, usage and more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment